Tuesday, June 28, 2005

I won tickets to see Battlestar Galactica!

I apologise to my regular readers (yes, all four of you) but this post is:
a) Extremely geek-like
b) Meant more for fans of the new Battlestar Galactica.

I know it's poor consolation, but I promise not to make it a geek convention type thing.
But I did say I wanted to talk about TV more, and I reckon this might be a good way to start this off.

Or not.

Anyway.
The Lords of Kobol be praised.

I won some tickets to a free screening of the new Battlestar Galactica at my local cinema. It was a contest to promote the series, which is being screened in Asia for the first time. If you’re ancient – like me – then you might remember the cheesy toaster oven Cylons and Egyptian-motif Viper pilots from the original series. But Ron Moore (who wrote Star Trek: First Contact) has done an amazing job of re-vamping the entire series. There are a lot of sites out there that cover how good it is and it scary detail so I won’t go into it here.

I think it’s good Cinemax is bringing the series in. I liked watching it on the big screen (even though the show was formatted for TV). That said, I don’t think everyone can tolerate a 3-hour screening of what was to their minds, still a TV show. And I think your TV mode is different from your movie mode. One couple walked out during the disc changeover (prolly a DVD) but the rest were ok.

It’s still a very nice show to watch though. But then again, I’m a fan.